The Kent Archeological Society Buildings Committee organised an excursion to Westenhanger Castle and the two medieval timber framed barns on the adjoining site. The present owner, Graham Forge, spent four hours showing us around and explaining the problems that he has encountered during the restoration work that he and his son have undertaken over the past 11 years.
Parts of the present castle date back to the 14th century. We started in the entrance marquee, where there is a visitor centre showing the phases of restoration. From there we walked round the outer walls until we reached the two barns, built in 1588. They are built of Kentish ragstone with walls over three feet thick. A welcome tea followed before we went with an archaeologist to examine the internal walls in the sunken garden. We then went into the early 17th century house that had been tacked onto the original castle. The house is now used as a wedding venue and has a bridal suite.