Visit to Salisbury: Arundells, Mompesson House
Once again Maureen organised perfect weather and an interesting programme for the Society’s visit to Salisbury. The coach company had supplied a very new vehicle and a pleasant driver so it was a comfortable journey.
Once in Salisbury we had time to look around on our own before our allocated slot for a guided tour around Arundells, a house set in the Cathedral Close and last owned by the former Prime Minister, Sir Edward Heath. We were sorry to hear that the house will be closed to the public at the end of October for reasons given on the website. We were first able to look around the garden, which covered two acres. It was beautifully laid out and stretched down to the River Avon in one direction and with a view to Salisbury Cathedral in the other. The guided tour of the house was given by two well-informed ladies. It was surprising how light the rooms were especially as the oldest parts date from the 13th century, although most of the house dates from the early 18th century.
After our tour of the house we decided to visit a National Trust property nearby. This was Mompesson House, built in 1701 for Charles Mompesson, a local MP.
It was then time for a delicious lunch in the open air before making our way to the cathedral. There was just time for a quick look around the outside of the cathedral before making our way back to the coach for the journey home.